Stick to my Sticks

My homemade stick
I have numerous disabilities, some of which are evident, and some of which are not. My inner ears are pretty damaged, so I have a balance problem. Plus, I have bad knees and feet.

I have a few really cool, homemade walking sticks that cost just a few dollars to make. At times, I really need one;  other times, it’s just there. Some days I feel I can walk a short distance without it; other days, I really need it. I go up and down, depending on how each of my individual disabilities are doing on that particular day.

It also depends on what what type of surface I’m walking on. If it’s a nice, slick floor, I can do without it and walk relatively normally. Walking on sidewalk is a bit harder, so I keep my chosen stick with me but hardly use it. . . sometimes.

It’s pretty hard to walk on grass, and even harder, still, to walk on snow. On a windy day, boy, do I ever need my stick!

I’d prefer to not have possession of a walking stick at all, but the damage to my inner ears requires that I have one, at least, that’s the recommendation of the ENT doctor. (The physical therapist differs in opinion and doesn’t want me using it.)

Anyway, one day I was sitting down at my then-job when a woman approached me and mumbled something several times. Each time, I responded with, “What?”

My "wokey" stick. Get it?

Finally, she said more clearly, “Everybody else is standing, why aren’t you?” When I told her that they allow those with disabilities to sit (at least back then they did), she responded with, “You don’t look disabled.”

Ok, lady, not all the disabilities are evident, but one of them should’ve been obvious. I’m hearing impaired! Did you even see my "hearing impaired" sign on my lanyard? Didn't think so. The look on my face told her she’d better run along.

When the event was over, I made sure that I was standing — with my stick! As she strutted by, she took one, quick, vertical scan of my stylish stick and walked away in a huff. No apology, no nothing.

*Sigh*

Comments

Popular Posts

Mwahmwahmwah, Wah Wah Mwah

September 19, 2009

Drug Addict...Not!